At the first sight of a sneeze, one might decide it is best to drink lots of fluids and stay in bed all day. However, it might not be the flu, or even a cold, or even a bacterial sinus infection. It might just be some allergy, or a temporary tickle between the nose hairs.
Fret not! Mopani Pharmacy can help!
Just an annoyance
Foreign objects like pet hairs and dust may travel up the nose and tickle the inner nose hairs. This permits the response of a sneeze, perhaps one or several. It depends on how ‘stuck’ the invader is.
What to do:
- Do not block your nose completely when you sneeze, otherwise it will stay in there
- If need be, flush the pesky thing out with a saltwater solution!
Pollen or micro-particles may enter your nasal cavity. If you are allergic to it, it may cause your body to react with a histamine response.
This may cause your eyes and skin to feel dry and itchy, cause a skin rash and give you some sniffles.
What to do
- Use a nasal spray to control congestion & hydrate your nasal passage
- Blow your nose before using nasal spray
- Use anti-histamine OTC products
- If you stay congested, flush your sinuses with a saltwater solution
- Try to find out WHAT makes you react in this way – you can be tested for allergies or test yourself by process of elimination, and then stay away from the allergen.
A sinus infection is identifiable at the first sight of green/yellow mucus – an indicator of bacteria.
You may experience heavy congestion and pain around the eyes and forehead.
What to do
- Drink lots of liquids to ensure that your mucus membranes do not dry out. This will help to alleviate your congestion, as the mucus will not be as thick
- Use nasal spray to alleviate congestion
- Blow your nose regularly
- Use a saltwater solution to help kill off bacteria
- If you have a nasal drip that causes your throat to hurt, you may need to visit your doctor
- Your doctor can then prescribe antibiotics as treatment
- Gargle a homemade saltwater solution to kill any bacteria that may be in the throat
For reference, refer to the table below.
For decongestants and nasal sprays, you can visit Mopani Pharmacy or browse our online shop for delivery to your doorstep!