Dehydration is something that can sneak up on you – whether the sun is on its brightest or not! The holiday season offers a lot of activities, running after the kids, pitching that holiday tent or cooking up a storm for the family coming over – all of which could have you end up feeling less than your best.
- Thirst / Dry or sticky mouth
- Dark coloured urine
- Dry, itchy skin
- Muscle cramps
- Rapid heartbeat/breathing
- Sunken eyes / cracked lips
- Headaches, dizziness, fatigue, confusion or irritability, fainting, seizures
Your baby may become dehydrated as well – make sure to look for the following signs
- Dry mouth and tongue
- No tears when crying
- Dry nappies for three hours or more
- Sunken eyes, cheeks, soft spot on the top of the skull
- Sleepiness, lack of energy, or irritability
How to prevent dehydration / treat symptoms
- Drink at least one glass of water for every 10 kilograms you weigh, every day
- If it is hot / you are more active, drink more than usual
- Make use of fluid-rich snacks such as cucumbers and watermelon
- Use a moisturising body wash such as Sanex Dermo Pro Hydrate Shower Gel to combat dry skin
- Combat an itchy dry skin with Epi-Max All Purpose Moisturiser
- Use Blistex medicated lip balm to keep your lips smooth and puckered up
- Get some Rehidrat sachets from Mopani for extra electrolytes!
If you experience any confusion, fainting, seizures or prolonged symptoms, please see your doctor as it may become something serious if left untreated.