Working out on a regular basis is a journey for many. You might be looking to improve your heart-health, bouncing back after your pregnancy or just staying active because you love it. Either way, you will most definitely benefit from some additional protein in your diet.
Benefits of proteins while you are exercising:
- Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues, such as injured muscles. Having a protein shake or high protein snack right after your workout can immensely reduce sore, stiff muscles the next day.
- You also use proteins to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Proteins are vital to support the growth and maintenance of healthy bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
- It can aid in weight loss, as proteins reduces the hunger hormone, ghrelin, and boosts the levels of peptide YY, a hormone that makes you feel full. Polypeptides make up most of the hormones including insulin and glucagon needed to process and break down glucose. It also consists of adrenocorticotropic hormones which are a detrimental to your metabolism.
- Toning up your tummy after a pregnancy can be very hard, but half of the work is taking what you are eating into consideration. Protein contains collagen, keratin and elastin – all of which are needed to help your uterus and skin heal.
- Protein is essential to create haemoglobin, which carries oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your organs.
Read more: Taking care of Diabetes at Mopani Pharmacy