Dry winter air can have all sorts of effects on the body, one of the most prominent ones being dry, itchy, cracked skin.
Before we talk about all the great products that can bring some relief, let’s look at what else you can do to beat the dryness
It is also important to know, if your skin is dry or just dehydrated. Dry skin will need constant moisturising. It often needs oil-rich products, as it lacks natural skin oils (sebum). It may also feel like you are dry from head to toe.
Dehydration actually just means that you are not taking in enough water, or that your skin’s barriers are not able to keep the moisture locked in. You can actually feel like you are oily and dry at the same time. In this instance, using lighter moisturisers will work better here, along with drinking more water.
In both cases, you will have flaky, itchy, sensitive, tight and dull skin.
Drink more water! Say it again. Drink more water.
It is cold and we are drinking more coffee and tea. These are however, diuretics, and pull water from your body. Make sure to drink one glass of water for every hot beverage you consume, to even it out a bit and make sure you are getting enough water to hydrate your body.
The right supplements
- Zinc helps your skin to heal, especially if it is cracked or broken.
- Omega 3 also helps your skin, as it creates a natural moisture barrier to help keep it hydrated.
- Vitamin C is needed to make collagen, which is basically the glue that keeps our skin together!
Picking the right moisturiser
Now that we have offered solutions to self-care from within, we can look at what we can do to bring relief from the outside!
When choosing a lotion or cream, it is best to look at different options for the different parts of your body.
Some of our favourite face creams include:
- Nivea Q10 Plus Anti-Wrinkle Day Cream
- Aloe Unique Essential Day Cream
- Eucerin AquaPorin Active SPF25 for Dry Skin
- Clinique Moisture Surge Intense Skin Fortifying Hydrator
- Eucerin Hyaluron-Filler Night Cream
- Nivea Hyaluron Cellular Filler Night Cream
- Vichy Aqualia Thermal Night Spa
For your body, a nice lotion or cream will help to alleviate the itch, we recommend:
- E45 Body Cream
- Nivea Rich Nourishing Body Lotion
- Jack Black Cool Moisture Body Lotion
- Eucerin UreaRepair Plus Body Cream
Cracked heels are no joke. Time to bring out the big guns.
Dry skin can be a real nuisance. Make sure that you are not making it worse by using harsh soaps, and try to limit your exposure to hot water in the shower. If you are experiencing exceptionally dry skin, consult our wellness clinic Sisters or one of our pharmacists for advice.
If you suspect that you have something a bit tougher than winter dryness, such as eczema, read more