Superfood – what it really means
Mopani Pharmacy did some research to break down how super theses foods really are and what it means for your health.
Truth be told, there is no such thing as a perfect food, as no one food item will ever contain everything you need and too much of anything can be unhealthy. When it comes to superfoods, there is no real criteria to which a type of food can be measured against. What we really mean when we say ‘superfood’, is that it is a food that has a lot of nutrients in it, more so than the average and ordinary.
There are fruits, vegetables, dairy and animal meat proteins that fall under the superfood categories.
Examples of superfood include:
- Dark green leafy veggies has numerous vitamins and minerals as well as inti-inflammatory compounds.
- Berries contain vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants.
- Eggs are known to contain the ‘good cholesterol’ known as HDL, a variety of vitamins and minerals and high-quality proteins
- Nuts and seeds are rich in fibre, vegetarian protein and heart-healthy fats.
- Garlic is a source of manganese, vitamin C, vitamin B6, selenium and fibre.
- Salmon has high levels of healthy fats, protein, B vitamins, potassium and selenium.
Ever heard someone say, you should take this vitamin with that mineral for better absorption? Superfoods usually have nutrients that are complementary in their absorption and optimal use within the body.
There is this idea that you need to have so many ingredients in each meal to cover your nutritional intake. By identifying superfoods and the nutrients they offer, you can simplify your meals and get the most out of them.
To make sure that you are getting what you need, read more: Live the difference with these vitamins & minerals
Mopani Pharmacy also offers a selection of superfood products that you can add to your pantry. You can shop in-store or online!
Options of superfood include but are not limited to:
- Wazoogles Superfood
- Nature’s Nutrition Superfood
- Baobab Fruit Powder
- Health Connection Nutty Protein Blend
If you would like to choose a superfood that fits in well with you or your family in terms of your current diet, activity level and nutritional needs, do not hesitate to ask the staff at Mopani for a recommendation.