Some things are obvious, other things, not. Here are our top tips from some #Mopani staff who had successfully quit smoking themselves!
- No one can decide to quit smoking for you. You need to WANT to quit.
- No two journeys are the same, some slack down by smoking less and less over time, others go cold-turkey. You do you.
- Get a deadline and stick to it – Decide when your last cigarette ever will be, smoke it, throw away the empty packet, and never look back.
- Get rid of reminders, the lighter in the car, the ashtray on the coffee table etc.
- Try the Nicorette 16 Hr Invisipatch, for slow releasing nicotine and a break during the time you are sleeping.
- You may experience cravings. Shop in our health food section for a selection of nuts, seeds and other healthy snacks to keep you satiated – but do not switch one habit for another by eating too much. Weight gain in moderation is normal, however, if your weight gain lasts for more than three months, be sure to visit your doctor or dietitian. Enjoy a home-made smoothie with this recipe!
- To kick the habit of smoking is not easy and may cause stress and anxiety. Try Natura Rescue drops or tablets to manage your anxiety in this time.
- This is a good time to pick up a healthy habit – all those cartons of cigarettes that you won’t be buying, will be worth a pair of running shoes! You need not become the next marathon runner, but a walk with the dog after dinner is a start.
How it benefits you to quit smoking:
- Your heart rate becomes stable one hour after you quit smoking.
- The oxygen levels in your blood picks up after 12 hours.
- Smoking induced hypertension starts to fade after 1 day.
- Damaged nerves start healing – your olfactory senses and taste buds seem to come alive after two days.
- Your blood circulation improves over the course of three months.
- Your lungs become stronger against germy-invasions and starts to heal from all the smoking trauma, at around the nine-month range.
- Chances of coronary heart disease decrease by 50% after one year.
- Five years after you quit smoking, narrowed veins begin to heal – reducing the risk of a stroke. The chance of a stroke will continue to lowers with time.
- The chances of lung cancer reduce by half, and continues to get smaller with time after the ten-year mark.
- After 15 Years, your heart will be the same as someone that never smoked.
- The risk of any illness related to smoking, goes down to the level, as low as anyone who had never smoked – 20 years after smoking.
This is not a singular victory, but an every-day triumph. Mopani will support you in this journey, and help where we can – to help you win, every day, with each healthy breath.