Vitamin C – How much is enough?
Vitamin C is known as a water-soluble vitamin. Water-soluble vitamins are not stored in the body and need to be replenished every day. This is because your body only absorbs what it can use and the rest is flushed out.
What is Vitamin C?
It is also known as ascorbic acid – it is an antioxidant and helps protect cells and keeps them healthy. Your body uses vitamin C to make collagen. This keeps bones, skin, teeth and blood vessels healthy and supple. Vitamin C will not cure a cold or flu by attacking it, but it will boost your immune system to help your own body fight it.
How much do you need?
According to the Mayo Clinic website, the average recommended daily amount is about 65 to 90 milligrams per day – this would be to maintain the average, healthy body. However, a compromised person may be able to use more than that.
- According to the National Institute of Health, smokers on average need 35mg more than non-smokers, per day.
- Illness or a weak immune system may cause your body to absorb more vitamin C to repair, replenish and rebuild.
- There is also the factor of, how quickly your body can digest the food or supplement – as each body is different. Some may have their food and supplements move through the bowel quicker, and therefore absorb less, and vice versa.
- One should limit your daily intake to 2000mg.
- It is also recommended to take iron with vitamin C, as it helps with absorption.
What happens if you take more than 2000mg?
Since it is a water-soluble, any excess will leave your system with your urine output. This makes it very unlikely to ‘overdose’.
The only complaints prevalent to excessive vitamin C, is nausea and diarrhoea, as it is acidic.
Which foods contain the most vitamin C
- Raw red & green peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Green peas
How to take your supplement
- It is recommended that you take it with meals.
- If you are planning on taking more than one supplement per day, try to space them out to allow prolonged absorption time.
- If you consume a large dose the vitamin on a daily basis, try to take the supplement with the meal that has the least amount of vitamin C.
Mopani Pharmacy has a variety of vitamin C supplements available. Ask our friendly staff or your doctor to assist you in choosing one that will be most suitable to your needs and lifestyle. Alternatively, visit our online shop and have your supplement delivered to your doorstep!